Tuesday 30 October 2012

Patriarchal Blessings

I don't know if I've talked about this before but something I really believe strongly in is the idea that each of us our pre-destined to accomplish some kind of mission in this earth. Before we came down here we covenanted with God that we would do something and in turn he promised us that he would help us accomplish what we needed to and that in turn, we will receive the blessings of exaltation. I also believe that we are born where we need to be and given the trials/blessings we need to grow and become the kind of person we need to be to accomplish our mission in this life.

It's been interesting to me in my own life trying to figure out what I need to do and what my purpose is here on this earth. I look back on my trials especially and see what kind of person they have unpleasantly forced me to become. One tool I have found so helpful is my patriarchal blessing, if there was nothing in the church to convince me of its truthfulness my patriarchal blessing would do the trick. It is simply amazing to have a piece of scripture in essence that is so personalized to me and gives me a plain path that I know I need to follow. It is humbling to realize that all my trials and blessings have shaped me to be this person that my patriarchal blessing describes, although life can give you hard things they are necessary to help us grow. I was listening to a talk given by President Eyring in the April 2012 general conference where he talked about his mother battling cancer for ten years. In attendance at her funeral, the prophet said that she was given this trial because God needed her to go through it to become the person she needed to be. I truly believe that our trials (even though they suck) are perhaps the most necessarily things in this life for us to become Christlike rather than just being obedient to the gospel.   

No comments:

Post a Comment