Sunday 22 July 2012

The Dark Knight Rises

Here is my official review on the new batman movie, there were things I really liked then things I didn't like so much. First we'll start with the things I didn't like as much so we can end on a happy note because overall I did really think it was a great movie.
1. Anne Hathaway as catwoman, everybody is raving about her performance but I just don't buy it, the whole thing seems so forced to me like she was trying too hard to get into a different character. Although I will say she didn't do as bad as I thought she would and maybe I noticed the flaws in her acting because I was looking for them.
2. The bad guys, I did really like the twist of making Tate the actual bad guy in the end but then she has the most anti climatic death ever. You find out she's behind everything then five minutes later she dies a car crash and way less dramatically than the other villain deaths so far. Bane was scary but the whole time he seemed more like a hitman than the actual mastermind, luckily he was more of a hitman than the actual mastermind in the end but for the first half of the movie I found the "main" bad guy wanting.
Now onto the good stuff
1. I loved how they ended the whole Bruce Wayne story, first, Bruce Wayne loses his parents and that brings on the batman. It takes a good deal of emotional/physical energy into becoming batman and it works. Later, he needs to transition out of being batman but he doesn't, he gets stuck in a rut where he just stays locked up in Wayne manner for years. It takes losing everything (Alfred, his ability to be batman, Rachel) to push him into a state of mind where he can stop being batman and go back to being a relatively normal guy. It was a nice way to wrap the story up, you don't need to wonder well maybe he will put the suit back on again because clearly he was able to close that chapter in his life.
2. I loved the transition from batman to Robin. They introduced Robin without telling us that his name was Robin until the end. We all began loving him and wishing he would be batman's sidekick throughout the movie. And instead of some cheesy batman initiation where Bruce Wayne gives Robin the grand tour of the bat cave, Robin naturally takes over because of his own curiosity and drive. I thought it was a very smooth transition that didn't feel forced or fake at all.
3. I did love that Batman chose catwoman before he found out who Tate really was (he gave her the thumb probably containing his plans etc. before his encounter with Tate) it showed what he really wanted and not him settling for his second choice.
Overall, I didn't like this movie as much as the second but I did think Christopher Nolan did a fantastic job as he always does.

No comments:

Post a Comment