Sunday 29 April 2012

Some thoughts than an update about what's going on in my life!

Today in Sunday School we were talking about why we need to keep the commandments. Apart from keeping them to be obedient I believe that by doing so it is the only way to be truly happy, let me explain.

As a human we have basic wants and needs, for example, we all want security, wealth, status, etc., and we need things like food, water, shelter. However, I think the most fundamental, powerful want and need in our life is love. We all need, more than anything, to feel that someone really loves us and specifically we need our heavenly parents' love. When describing the fruit in the tree of life dream Nephi says "It is the love of God, which sheddeth itself abroad in the hearts of the children of men; wherefore, it is the most desirable above all things" (1 Nephi 11:22). Our heavenly parents have a capacity to love more than any of us here on this earth have, and this life on earth is the first time we have been physically separated from our heavenly parents and their love. I believe that we all feel that loss of love and feel the need to fill that void in our lives.

Sometimes we see commandments as restricting, after all things like extramarital sex and drugs can feel pretty good in the moment and although they have consequences some may not care about those consequences or they may be too far off to really play into a persons decision making. However, these kinds of things will never be able to fill the void we feel from not feeling our heavenly parents' love in our lives. 

In the scriptures is mentions countless times that God can not be where unclean things are, therefor if we sin than God can't be with us, and therefor we cannot feel His love. However, I think it goes further than that after all isn't Heavenly Father suppose to love us unconditionally? Perhaps when we sin we lessen our ability to feel God's presence and his love in our lives and the more we live our lives in accordance to his commandments, the more we can feel His love which is after all what we want most in life. Just a thought now for the update on my life!

Life is great! I love summer and have spent all of my free time playing frisbee and swimming at the pool and I just can't get enough of it. As this is my last summer before graduating in August, I decided to only have jobs that will be a lot of fun and will allow me to spend one last summer in the sunshine so I am working at the golf course (free golf boo-ya) and life guarding at seven peaks. I'm really excited for both of these jobs and if you have a pass of all passes come find me at seven peaks! I'm getting excited to graduate but nervous to apply for PT schools so keep your fingers crossed for me that I will be able to do well on the GRE and get into some kind of decent school! 

No comments:

Post a Comment